Chicken Salna is the best side dish for chicken biryani and Indian breads. This is one of the most popular dish served in the street stalls and along the highways in Tamil nadu. Chicken Salna is used as a base for making kothu paratha and it is the match made for each other and I always like to have it when I visit my hometown.
- Chicken - 1 kg, cut into pieces, washed & drained
- Onion - 2 large, finely chopped
- Tomato - 1 large, chopped
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
- Red chilly powder - 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Green chillies - 1 no
- Fresh coconut - 1/4 cup, grated
- Cashew nuts - 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
For Dry roast :
- Cloves - 3 nos
- Cinnamon stick - 1/2"
- Cardamom - 1 no
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Poppy seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
- Black peppercorns - 1 tsp
Dry roast and grind them to fine powder.
1. Grind together coconut, green chillies and cashew nuts to smooth paste.
2. Heat oil in the pan, add finely chopped onions. Saute till tender.
3. Add ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, curry leaves and salt to taste. Saute.
4. Add chicken and cook over high flame for 3 mins. Add tomato, coconut paste and spice powder. Cover and cook till done. Add water to adjust the consistency.
5. Garnish it with coriander leaves.
Serve it with parotta, biryani, pulao, chapati, appam, dosa or naan.