Serve this pretty cake on special occasions or for spring birthdays. It has a wickedly thick layer of lemon frosting.
For the sponge :
- Confectioners' (icing) sugar - 2/3 cup
- Cake flour - 2/3 cup
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Egg whites - 8 nos
- Vanilla extract - 11/4 tsp
- Cream of tartar - 1 tsp
- Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Egg yolks - 6 no
- Finely grated lemon zest - 2 tsp
Tangy Lemon frosting :
- Confectioners' (icing) sugar - 4 cups
- Butter,softened - 1/2 cup (125 g)
- Finely grated lemon zest - 1 tbsp
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice - 4 to 5 tbsp
- Pink colour
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease & line up the baking pan with the parchment paper.
2. Sift the icing sugar, flour and salt into a medium bowl. Beat the egg whites, vanilla, cream of tartar in a large bowl until frothy. Add sugar, beating until stiff, glossy peaks flora. Gently fold in the dry ingredients. Place half the batter in another bowl.
3. With mixer on high speed, beat the egg yolks in a large bowl until pale & thick. Add the lemon zest. Fold the beaten egg yolks into one bowl of the beaten whites. Place alternate spoonfuls of the batters into the pan.
4. Bake for 40-50 mins. Let cool in the pan for 5 mins. Turn out onto a rack and let cool completely.
5. To prepare the frosting, beat the icing sugar, butter, lemon zest, pink food colour and lemon juice in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth. Spread over the cake.
Happy baking :)