Simple, easy, quick & delicious rice taste perfect with papads. One of my comfort rice preparation for the lunch box menu. Healthy & nutritious way of using all leftover vegetables. Either store bought / homemade sambar powder can be used for this dish. I personally prefer to use homemade sambar powder, as you get the unique flavour comparatively.
- Raw Rice - 3/4 cup
- Toor dal - 1/4 cup
- Water - 2 1/4 cups
- Onion - 1 large sized
- Tomato - 1 large sized
- Tamarind pulp - 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Sambar powder - 2 tsp (to taste)
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Red chillies - 3 to 4 nos
- Curry leaves - 1 tbsp
- Cut Vegetables (carrot, beans, drumstick, potato) - 1 cup
- Roasted cashewnuts - 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Corriander leaves for garnishing
1. Soak the rice & dal together for half an hour. (optional)
2. Heat oil & ghee together in the cooker, add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, red chillies, curry leaves & finely chopped onions. Saute till tender.
3. Add finely chopped tomatoes, tumeric powder & salt to taste.
4. Add cut vegetables & tamarind pulp. Cook for 3 mins.
5. Drain & add the rice and dal. Add sambar powder (Either homemade or store bought), water & corriander leaves. Cook them till done. (I cook this on low medium flame for 25 mins)
6. Once cooked, add roasted cashewnuts & again some corrainder leaves.
Serve with papads.