May every day of the new year
glow with good cheer & happiness
for you & your family.
Happy New Year to all my Viewers !!!
- Butter for greasing
- Eggs - 4 nos
- Caster sugar - 115 g / 1/2 cup
- All purpose flour - 175 gms / 1 1/2 cups
For the filling & topping :
- Orange-flavoured liqueur (or) orange juice - 6 tbsp (optional)
- Double cream - 3 cups
- Vanilla sugar - 4 tbsp
- Fresh soft fruit, such as raspberries, strawberries, red currants and blueberries - 2 cups
- Caramelised almonds - 1 cup
- Glazed cherries for decoration
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C. Grease & line up the baking pan with the parchment paper.
2. Put the eggs and sugar in a large bowl and beat until the mixture is thick and pale.
3. Sift the flour into the bowl with the egg and sugar mixture, then fold together gently.
4. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Bake it for 30 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Leave the cake in the tin for 5 mins, then turn out on to a wire rack to go cold.
5. Cut the cake in half horizontally to make two layers. Put the bottom layer on to a serving plate and sprinkle the orange flavoured liqueur or juice, over the cut side of each cake.
6. To make the filling and topping, put the double cream and vanilla sugar in a large bowl and beat to ether with an electric whisk until the mixture holds its shape.
7. Spread two-thirds of the cream over the bottom layer of the cake and top with the soft fruits.
8. Carefully put the second layer of the cake on top of the first layer and spread the remaining cream over the top & sprinkle the caramelised almonds & decorate with some glazed cherries.
Happy baking :)