With this creamy fruit filling & frosting, this is a wonderful cake to serve as an afternoon snack with coffee or tea.
- All purpose flour - 3/4 cup (125 g)
- Large eggs - 4 now (separated)
- Sugar - 1/2 cup (100 g) plus 2 tbsp
- Ground cinnamon - 1 tsp
- Butter, melted & slightly cooled - 1/2 cup (125 g)
Raspberry and sour cream :
- Heavy cream - 1/2 cup (125 ml)
- Icing sugar - 2 tbsp
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup (60 ml)
- Grated lemon zest - 1 tsp
- Vanilla extract - 1/8 tsp
- Fresh raspberries - 2 cups ( 300 g)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a round cake pan and line the base with parchment paper.
2. To prepare the sponge, beat 1/2 cup of sugar and the egg yolks in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium high speed until pale and thick.
3. Beat the egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peak forms. Add the remaining sugar and continue beating until firm peaks form.
4. Use a spatula to fold a quarter of the egg whites into the yolk mixture.
5. Sift the flour and cinnamon into a small bowl. Sift the flour mixture into the batter, alternating with the butter, folding until incorporated. Gently fold in the remaining egg whites, spoon the prepared batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 35 - 45 mins.
6. To prepare the filling, beat the cream and sugar until soft peaks form. Beat in the sour cream, lemon zest and vanilla until just combined. Finely, chop the raspberries.
7. Cut the cake horizontally, spread the filling & the raspberries on the first layer. Place the other layer on top. Now spread the remaining frosting & decorate accordingly.
Refrigerate and serve.