This classic treat is delicious in the summer, filled with ripe, fragrant strawberries. The sponge is exceptionally light because it is made without fat. To ensure you have a perfect sponge, have all the ingredients at room temperature. Eat this cake on the day it is made.
For the sponge :
- Oil, for greasing
- 1/2 cup caster sugar plus extra for dusting (115 g)
- Sifted plain flour - 3/4 cup ( 90g)
- Eggs - 4 nos
For the filling & frosting :
- Double heavy cream - 300 ml (11/4 cups)
- Icing sugar, sifted - 1 tsp
- Fresh strawberries, washed & hulled - 4 cups
- A little orange liqueur (optional)
For the cake :
1. Preheat the oven to 190 C. Grease the 20cm cake tin with oil & flour. Tap out the excess.
2. Put the eggs and sugar into a bowl and whisk at high speed until the mixture is light and thick.
3. Sift the flour over the whisked eggs and carefully fold it in with a metal spoon, mixing thoroughly but losing as little volume as possible.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake it for 25 - 30 mins or until the sponge feels springy to the touch.
To make the filling :
5. Whip the cream with a little icing sugar until it is stiff enough to hold its shape.
6. Slice the sponge across the middle and spread half the cream and strawberries (sprinkle the orange liqueur over them if using). Now place the first sponge half & frost the cake with the reserved cream. Decorate the case as you wish too.
I made the birds & pigs using the fondant.
I used the waffles for decorating around the cake.
Happy baking :)