Thandai is the most popular North indian drink served during the festival time especially on holi. This is made with almonds and with little indian spices which taste sweet & spicy. It is really good & refreshing during the hot summer time.
This is normally served very cold or by adding crushed ice cubes to drink instantly. Addition of almond & rose water makes the drink rich, tasty & healthy. Almonds r good for the skin. Thandai is perfect for kids tooo & sure they will ask for the second cup.
- Almonds -1/4 cup
- Milk - 1 cup
- Water -3/4 cup
- Black pepper corns - 1/2 tsp
- Poppy seeds -1 tbsp
- Cardomon - 2 nos
- Sauf - 1/2 tsp
- Sugar - 5 tbsp
- Rose water - 1 tbsp
- Soak the almonds in the water for atleast 2 hrs.
- Peel off the skin & grind them with 3/4 cup of water. Pour the water little at time.
- Meanwhile, grind the poppy seeds, peppercorns and cardomon together. Keep aside.
- Now mix the above powder with the almond paste & blend them together.
- Finally mix the milk and sugar. Blend all together for 2 to 3 min.
- Strain the almond drink & add 1 tbsp of rose water.
Garnish it with saffron or with almond pieces. Serve them with the crushed ice cubes.