Perfect treat for hazelnut lovers. To make a chocolate hazelnut cake, add 100 gms grated chocolate to the sponge mixture. It taste absolutely divine especially with tea.
For the sponge :
- Ground Hazelnuts - 50 gms
- Chopped hazelnuts - 50 gms
- Butter / Margarine - 200 gms
- Sugar - 200 gms
- Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
- A pinch of salt
- Rum - 1 tbsp
- Eggs - 3 nos
- Plain flour - 150 gms ( 11/2 cups)
- Baking powder - 2 level tsp
For the glaze : (optional)
1. To make the sponge, roast the hazelnuts lightly in a pan without fat, stirring all the time, Grease & flour the baking pan. Preheat the oven about 180 C.
2. Whisk the butter until soft. Add the sugar, vanilla essence, salt & rum little by little. Whisk in the eggs one after the other, for about 1/2 min each on the highest setting.
3. Mix together the flour & baking powder, stir in the roasted hazelnuts & whisk briefly in two instalments on the medium settings. Spoon the cake mixture into the cake tin & bake for about 45 mins or until done. Allow the cake to cool.
4. To make the glaze, coarsely chop the chocolate & melt with the oil over low heat stirring all the time. Coat the cooled cake with the chocolate glaze and sprinkle chopped hazelnuts on top.
Serve with tea