Pound cake is named for the fact that traditionally it was made with a pound each of butter, sugar, eggs and flour, with spices or nuts and seeds added for flavor. Originally baking powder was not used and the leavening was provided by the eggs. Nowadays we use baking powder and sometimes baking soda for reliable, easy leavening.
- All purpose flour - 3 cups (450 gms)
- Baking powder - 1 tsp
- Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Butter, softened - 1 cup (250g)
- Sugar - 2 cups (400 gms)
- Vanilla extract - 2 tsp
- Almond extract - 1 tsp
- Large eggs - 5 nos
- Milk - 1 cup (250 ml)
- Whipped cream frosting for icing & decorating
- Marshmallows fondant for flowers
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C. Lightly grease and flour a baking pan.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Beat the butter, sugar, vanilla and almond extracts in a large bowl until pale and creamy.
3. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until just blended after each addition. With mixer at low speed, gradually beat in the dry ingredients, alternating with the milk. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
4. Bake for 50 - 60 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool the cake completely and decorate it with the whipped cream frosting.