- Dark chocolate, coarsely chopped - 10 ounces (300 g)
- Butter, coarsely chopped - 3/4 cup (180 g)
- Vanilla extract - 11/2 tsp
- Eggs , separated - 6 nos
- Firmly packed dark brown sugar - 1 cup (200 g)
- Finely grated orange zest - 1 tsp
- Ground hazelnuts - 1 cup (100 g)
- Whipped cream icing
1. Preheat the oven to 170 c. Lightly grease & line the baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Melt the chocolate, butter and vanilla in a double boiler over barely simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
3. Beat the egg yolks, sugar and orange zest in a large bowl until pale and thick. Add the cooled melted chocolate and stir to combine.
4. Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl until soft peaks form. Add a third of the whites to the yolk mixture and stir to combine and then fold in the remaining whites. Fold in the ground hazelnuts. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and cover with aluminum foil.
5. Bake for 35-40 mins. Let cool completely & sandwich the cake with the whipped cream icing & decorate it with the fondant as desired.
Happy baking :)