HAPPY BIRTHDAY VISISHT
I made this swimming pool themed cake for my son's 6th birthday this year. I used the blue coloured jelly for the water effect. Soft & spongy texture filled with rich custard cream & covered with marzipan. Perfect celebration cake & my son loved it :)
- Unsalted butter - 200 gms, plus extra for garnishing
- Caster sugar - 400 gms
- Eggs - 3 nos
- All purpose flour - 3 cups
- Baking powder - 1 tsp
- Vanilla sugar - 2 tsp (or vanilla extract)
For the filling & topping :
- Gelatine leaves - 3 nos
- Double cream - 4 cups
- Sugar - 2 tsp
- Cornflour - 2 tsp
- Egg yolks - 2 nos
- Vanilla sugar - 2 tsp
For the Marzipan :
1. To make the marzipan, put the ground almonds in a bowl and add the icing sugar and egg white. Mix to form a paste. Add the food colouring & knead. Refrigerate it.
2. Preheat the oven to 180 C. Grease & line the baking pan with the parchment paper.
3. Put the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat until fluffy. Add the eggs and whisk together. Sift in the flour, baking powder and vanilla sugar and stir together.
4. Spoon the batter in the cake tin and bake for 1 hour or until firm to the touch. Leave to cool in the tin.
5. To make the filling, soak the gelatine in cold water according to the directions on the packet. Put half of the cream, the sugar, cornflour and egg yolks in a pan and heat gently, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens. Do not allow it to boil or the eggs will curdle.
6. Pour into a bowl, and stir in the soaked gelatine leaves. Leave to cool.
8. Put the remaining cream with the vanilla sugar in a bowl and whisk until stiff. Fold into the cooled custard and quickly spread half the mixture over the bottom layer of cake. Put the other cake layer on top and spread the remaining custard over the top and sides.
9. Decorate the cake using the marzipan & refrigerate it.
Just few mins before cake cutting !!!!
Happy birthday to my prince :)