This deeply sensual dessert is certain to have your guests groan with pleasure at the warm, smooth and creamy mousse, enlivened further with an aromatic ice cream.
- Good quality dark chocolate - 125 gms
- Unsalted butter, softened - 35 gms / 2 tbsp
- 1 tbsp strong espresso coffee (optional)
- 3 eggs, separated
- 40g caster sugar
1. Break the chocolate into small pieces and put it in a deep pan with the butter and the espresso, if using. Melt over a very low heat, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat, add the egg yolks and stir well.
2. Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks, then gradually whisk in the sugar until you have a glossy, stiff meringue Fold the meringue gently into the chocolate mixture.
3. Pour into 4 tea cups and chill thoroughly. Bake in an oven preheated to 180 C for 10 mins.