Crème brûlée is super easy to cook and makes you look like a dinner party rock star because you can prepare them well in advance and just do the flame thrower bit for a party trick!
- Whipping cream - 11/3 cups
- Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
- Egg yolks - 4 large sized
- Sugar - 1/4 cup plus 6 tbsp
1. Preheat the oven at 150 C. Prepare the baking dishes over a baking pan.
2. Whisk together egg yolks and sugar until thick and creamy.
3. Heat the cream and slowly add the egg mixture, stirring continually.
4. Filter the cream mixture and pour it in the prepared dishes.
5. Place the baking dishes in the baking pan. Pour enough hot water in the baking pan so that the water comes halfway up the sides of the baking dishes.
6. Bake it for 40 mins or until the custards are set. Bring it to room temperature & refrigerate it.
7. Before serving, sprinkle some castor sugar over the custard. Caramelise it until golden brown using the kitchen torch or preheated broiler.