As most of us say, I learnt cooking only after my marriage. Chicken briyani is one of the most popular non-vegetarian Indian meals. I tried making spicy chicken briyani in many ways. Suprisingly, my first preparation was awesome. I followed the exact measurement of the ingredients as listed.
I normally marinate the chicken with all the masalas overnight. Its makes my cooking very easy next day & chicken becomes tender too. kuruma with onion raita & egg are the best combination.
- Basmati rice - 2 cups
- Chicken - 1/2 kg
- Curd - 1 1/2 cup
- Turmeric pdr - 1/2 tsp
- Chilly pdr - 2 tsp
- Dhaniya pdr - 3 tsp
- Jeera pdr - 1/2 tsp
- Ginger paste - 1 tsp
- Garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Green chillies - 5 nos
- Garam masala pdr - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon - 3 pieces
- Clove - 6 nos
- Cardamom - 4 nos
- Onion - 4 large
- Cashews - 20 nos
- Raisins - 10 nos (Dry grapes)
- Ghee - 1/4 cup
- Oil - 1/4 cup
- Mint leaves chopped - 1/2 bunch
- Coriander - 1/2 bunch chopped
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak the rice for 10 mins. Drain and keep aside.
- Clean and cut the chicken in medium pieces.
- Marinate the chicken in curd, all powders, ginger, garlic paste, slitted green chilly, salt for atleast 1 hour.
- Heat oil and ghee in a heavy bottomed pan, fry onion till golden brown and keep aside.
- In the remaining oil fry cashews and raisins and keep aside.
- Remove the oil from pan and put the marinated chicken in it . Cook till its half done adding 2 cups of water.
- Heat little oil in another pan, add the rice and fry for 2-3 mins.
- Add spices, half fried onion to it.
- Measure the stock of the chicken and pour in 1:1 1/2 ratio.
- Add chopped pudina and coriander leaves and salt.
- Cook for 10 - 15 mins close it with a lid. When water dries off , cook in low flame for 5-10 min pour ghee on top.
- Garnish with fried onions,raisins and cashews.
Serve with boiled eggs and raita.