3 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
1 medium carrot, shredded
4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
2 (28-ounce) cans crushed or chopped tomatoes
3/4 cup half and half
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Pasta -1/4 cup (ccoked)
Fresh parsley finely chopped - 2 tbsp
Soup is ready :
- Heat 2 tbsp of the butter and the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, onion and carrot and cook, stirring 3 minutes.
- Add the stock and tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cook uncovered, about 35 to 40 minutes, until the soup begins to thicken.
- Allow the soup to cool to almost room temperature. Process the soup in batches in a blender or food processor. Pulse until soup is pureed. Return to the pot and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the half and half and parsley. Stir in the remaining tablespoon of butter, season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with the pasta on the top.