My father was grown up in ananthapur district in AP,India. My grandma is an expert in preparing spicy and delicious thooku varieties. This thokku is one of her speciality & can be preserved for a week in refrigerator. During my pregnancy days, this was a treat to my tongue. It taste delicious!!!
- 3 medium sized onions
- Garlic - 10 pods
- Tamarind - lemon sized
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp chilly powder
- 1/2 Fenugreek seed(Methi seeds)
- 1 tbsp curry leaves
- Oil - 3 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Soak the tamarind in the water & extract its pulp.
- Heat oil in the pan, fry onion & garlic till it becomes transparent. Grind them coarsely & keep aside.
- Roast & grind the mustard & methi seeds.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, add curry leaves, tamarind pulp, onion paste & spice powder.
- Add turmeric powder,chilly powder & salt to taste. Cook until it becomes thick.
Taste great with rice. Enjoy!