Avial is a traditional recipe prepared almost in every household in kerala. Most popular & important dish in most of the festivals & celebrations. Very nutritious & fulfilling side dish prepared with lotz of vegetables of our own choice. Some makes it dry or with a little gravy - It's really ur own choice. Vegetables are cooked in the spicy coconut gravy & coconut oil taste delicious with variety rice.
- Coconut oil - 2 tbsp
- Cut vegetables ( yam, raw banana, carrot, beans, potato, drumstick, snake gourd) - 2 cups
- Grated coconut - 1/4 cup
- Green chillies - 3 to 4 nos (adjust to ur spice level)
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- A pinch of hing
- Curry leaves - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Sour curd - 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
1. Cook the vegetables with salt & enough water till tender.
2. Grind the coconut, green chillies & cumin seeds to a fine paste.
3. Heat 1 tbsp of coconut oil, add mustard seeds, curry leaves & a pinch of hing. Add the ground paste & cook for 5 more mins on low flame.
4. Add turmeric powder, cooked vegetables & curd. Cook for 10 mins on medium flame. Now add the remaining coconut oil.
5. Adjust the salt if required & switch off the flame.
Serve warm with rice or appam.