Happy Christmas !!
Use a food processor to chop and combine whole citrus fruits and dates to make this incredibly moist cake that is bursting with fruity and spicy flavours. This traditional cake is ideal for decorating for christmas or special occasions. It will keep for one month in an airtight container.
- 150 g butter
- 1 large orange, unpeeled, washed, cut into pieces and seeded
- 1 large lemon, unpeeled, washed, cut into pieces and seeded
- 1 large cooking apple, unpeeled, washed, cored and cut into pieces
- 90 g stoned dates
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1/2 cup sultanas
- 1/2 cup pitted prunes, chopped
- 1/2 cup cashew nut pieces
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp mace
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 11/2 tsp baking power
- 1 cup rolled oats, processed until smooth
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 3-4 tbsp unsweetened coconut milk, if needed
1. Preheat the oven to 300 C. Grease and line up the baking pan with the parchment paper.
2. Put the first five ingredients in a food processor and process to make a rough puree. Scrap the mixture into a bowl and stir in the raisins, currants, sultanas, prunes, nuts and spices.
3. Stir in the flour, baking powder and oats, alternating with the eggs. If the mixture seems very dry stir in the coconut milk.
4. Spoon the batter into the prepared tin and smooth the top level. Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool for 15 mins, then turn out to cool on a wire rack.
Enjoy baking :)