My mom makes this mango pickle for me always. This pickle can be stored in the fridge for 6 months. It requires less cooking time and can be served within two hours. I like to have this with upma, lemon rice, curd rice and with dal. We can use mustard oil or sesame oil for this preparation. Sometimes, I also use olive oil for variations.
- Sour raw mango - 2 small sized ( around 1 cup)
- Sesame oil - 3/4 cup
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp + 1/2 tsp
- Methi seeds (Fenugreek seeds)- 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Red chilly powder - 2 tsp ( or to taste)
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Hing- 1/2 tsp
1. Clean the mango and dry them completely. Grate them finely along with the skin. Mix together grated mango and salt. Keep aside for few mins.
2. Dry roast 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. Cool them completely and grind them to fine powder. Keep aside.
3. Heat oil in the pan, add 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds. Add hing, chilly powder and grated mango. Keep the heat over low heat. Stir for 2 mins and switch off the flame.
4. Add grounded spice powder. Mix well.
5. Store the pickle in the clean container.
1. If the mango is not sour, add lemon juice.
2. Refrigerate the pickle after two days.
3. Pickle stays good for 6 months in the fridge.
4. Garlic can also be added along with the mango.
5. Sterilise & dry the container before storing the pickle.