Homemade vallarai keerai podi is my hubby's favourite rice mix powder. We get this keerai only occasionally in my place & I make this podi little more than the usual quantity and freeze them for longer use. It taste great with hot steamed rice and a drop of ghee. This will be handy when I feel lazy to cook.
- Vallarai Keerai - 2 bunch
- Channa dal - 3 tbsp
- Ural dal - 2 tbsp
- Peanuts - 2 tbsp (or Sesame seeds - 1 tbsp or coriander seeds - 1 tbsp)
- Dry coconut powder - 1 tbsp
- Hing - 1 tsp
- Tamarind - small lemon size
- Salt to taste
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Dry red chillies - 10 nos
- Ghee - 2 tsp
1. Clean, wash and dry the Brahmi leaves( Vallarai keerai) over paper towels for an hour and dry roast them over pan till crispy.
2. Alternatively, we can sun dry them for 1 - 2 days.
3. Heat ghee in the pan, roast channa dal, urad dal, peanuts, tamarind, garlic, cumin seeds, red chillies and allow them to cool completely.
4. Grind them to coarse or fine powder along with the vallarai keerai/brahmi leaves, salt and hing.
Store it in air tight container.