Snack gourd dal curry is what I cook frequently using this vegetable. I found this recipe in Kabita's Kitchen and I tried it over the weekend. It taste really delicious with spicy stuffing and perfect side dish with rice or rotis.
- Snack gourd - 5 inch piece
- Onion - 2 nos
- Ginger - 2 inch piece
- Garlic - 8 pods
- Cumin seeds - 1 tbsp
- Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
- Black pepper corns - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp
- Dry mango powder (amchur powder ) - 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
Spice paste preparation :
1. Grind together 1 onion, ginger, garlic, cumin seeds - 1/2 tbsp, coriander seeds & pepper corns using little water to thick paste. Keep aside.
Preparing snack gourd :
2. Wash and dry the snack gourd (Don't peel the skin). Cut them around 5 inch piece and remove the seeds from the inner part using knife and keep aside.
Preparing the stuffing :
3. Heat oil in the pan, add cumin seeds, finely chopped 1 onion and salt to taste. Saute till tender.
4. Add grounded spice paste, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, garam masala powder, dry mango powder and saute.
5. Add the snack gourd seeds and salt if required. Cook till done.
6. Gently stuff the snack gourd with the masala.
7. Heat oil in the frying pan, add the stuffed snake gourd and gently fry them till done or golden brown on all the sides. Cook them over low heat (it may take more time to cook).
8. Garnish it with coriander leaves, if desired.
Serve with rice / rotis.