Like most of us, I cook non-vegetarian dishes during weekends. But sometimes during festival seasons, it becomes compulsory to cook vegetarian dishes on those days. Best substitute for our weekend menu would be this paruppu kari kuzhambu. Addition of dals makes the dish rich & taste yum :)
- Toor dal - 1/2 cup
- Urad dal - 1 tbsp
- Greenchilly - 3 nos
- Cinnamon stick - 1 no
- Cloves - 3 nos
- Onion - 1 no
- Tomato - 1 no
- Chilly powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Thick tamarind juice - 1 tsp
- Coconut paste - 1 tbsp
- Oil - 1 tsp plus for frying
- Salt to taste
- Corriander leaves for garnishing
Directions to cook :
1. Soak the toor dal & urad dal in the water for atleast 1 hr.
2. Grind toordal, urad dal, greenchillies & salt coarsely.
3. Steam the grounded toordal mixture in the pressure cooker.
4. Once steamed, cut them in the cube shape & deep fry them in the oil.
5. Heat oil in the pan, add cinnamon stick, cloves and finely chopped onion.
6. Add tomato, chilly powder, turmeric powder, salt & enough water. Cover & cook for 5 mins.
7. Add tamarind juice, coconut paste & fried paruppu kari. Cook for 4 more mins on medium flame.