Very soft, moist & delicious chocolate cake with cherries & drizzle of chocolate glaze is perfect to serve with tea. Even strawberries can be used instead of cherries. Best treat for chocolate lovers :)
- All purpose flour - 2 cups
- 1 Jar morello cherries
- Chocolate custard or pudding powder - 1 cup
- Baking powder - 2 tsp
- Sugar - 175 gms (to taste)
- Vanilla sugar - 1 sachet
- Eggs (medium) - 5 nos
- Oil - 150 ml (I used sunflower oil)
- Buttermilk - 125 ml
- Grated chocolate - 100 gms
For the glaze :
1. Grease the baking pan with flour & butter. Preheat the oven to 180 C.
2. Drain the cherries. Mix the flour, custard powder, baking powder & sieve.
3. Add & whisk together the sugar, vanilla sugar, buttermilk, eggs & cooking oil until you have obtained a smooth mixture.
4. Carefully fold the chocolate flakes & cherries. Now put the batter in the greased pan & bake it for 50 to 70 mins or until done.
5. Leave the cake to rest in the mould for about 10 mins, then remove it & put on a cake rack to cool.
6. To make the glaze, break the chocolate into pieces & melt with the cooking oil over the low flame. Pour over the cake & leave the glaze to set.
Serve with tea & sprinkle some icing sugar before serving.