- 2 oz (55 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 fl oz (175ml) boiling water
- 6 oz (170 g) butter, at room temperature
- 12 oz (350 g) dark brown sugar
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 10 oz (285 gm) plain flour
- 11/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 fl oz (125 ml) soured cream
For the frosting :
- 31/2 cups (875 ml) heavy double cream
- 7 tablespoons icing sugar
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- 4 tbsp frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven at 180 C. Line up & grease the baking pan with the parchment paper. Set aside.
2. With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. When the cocoa mixture is lukewarm, add to the butter mixture.
4. Sift together the flour, soda and baking powder twice. Fold into the cocoa mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the soured cream.
5. Pour into the prepared tins and bake until the cakes pull away from the sides of the tine, 30-35 mins. Let stand for 15 mins. Turn out onto a rack.
6. For the frosting, beat together all the ingredients until the mixture holds soft peaks.
7. Sandwich the cake layers with frosting, then spread over the top and side. Decorate the cake with the lovely lovebird (made with gum paste) and kitkat chocolate slices as a nest around.
Happy baking :)