Black forest cake or Schwarzwalder kirschtorte in German, orginally comes from southern Germany packed with cream, chocolate, cherries and kirschwasser ( a clear cherry brandy), it is perfect for all sorts of special occasions.
Chocolate cake :
- All purpose flour - 11/3 cups (200g)
- Unsweetened cocoa powder - 4 tbsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Dark chocolate, coarsely chopped - 4 ounces (125 g)
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup (200g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (180g) butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup (60ml) kirsch (Clear cherry brandy)
- 2 cups (500 ml) maraschino cherries, pitted plus extra to decorate
Vanilla cream :
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease & line up the baking pan with the parchment paper.
2. To prepare the cake, sift the flour, cocoa and salt into a medium bow. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler over barely simmering water, stirring until smooth. Beat the egg yolks and brown sugar in a medium bowl until creamy. Add the chocolate mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon or large kitchen spoon to combine.
3. Beat the egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until firm peaks form. Fold a quarter of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Gradually fold in the mixed dry ingredients and melted butter until well mixed. Gently fold in the remaining egg whites. Spoon the batter into the prepared cake pan, smoothing well with a spoon.
4. Bake for 40-45 mins or until golden brown and the cake springs back when lightly touched or a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre. Let the cake to cool in the pan for 10 mins then turn out onto a rack. Carefully peel off the paper and let cool completely.
5. To prepare the vanilla cream, beat the cream, icing sugar and vanilla in a large bowl until stiff peaks form.
6. When the cake is cooled completely, slice into thirds horizantally and brush each round with kirsch.
7. To assemble the cake, place a layer of cake on a serving plate. Spread the cherries evenly over the top and cover with one third of the vanilla cream. Cover with another cake layer and spread with cherries and cream. Cover with the remaining cake layer. Spread the remaining vanilla cream evenly over the op and sides of the cake using a small spatula to create a smooth finish.
Finally decorate the cake according to your wish.
Happy baking :)