I'm a big fan of cake, especially uncomplicated and classic recipes like this delicious vanilla cake. This cake will please the pickiest of palettes - it's vanilla right? But don't call it boring. It's so rich, so good and so sinful. And, might I add, so worth the calories.
This moist and tender vanilla cake is a great foil for any filling. It's easily transformed into custom flavours with a few simple tweaks.
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, line up the baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
2) In a small bowl, mix together the flour, salt and baking powder, set aside.
3) In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form, remove to a bowl. Change the whisk attachment to a paddle attachment and cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy, add the sour cream and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
4) Add half of the flour mixture along with half of the milk and whisk until mostly combined, add remaining flour mixture and milk and mix until everything is nice and smooth.
5) Fold in the egg whites 1/3 at a time and divide the batter between the two prepared pans. Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes or until fully cooked through.
6) Allow the cakes to cool for about 10 minutes, invert the cakes on to a rack and allow them to cool completely.
Happy baking :)