Upma is one of my comfort & healthy dish prepared during my hectic day out. Semolina, rice, aval & vermicelli are often used in preparing Upma's. Samba wheat upma is most healthy & very nutritious too. I cook them with vegetables & serve with spicy chutneys. We can keep it very simple without any vegetables & cook them in pressure cooker too.
- Broken wheat - 3/4 cup
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Ghee - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Ural dal - 1 tsp
- Green chillies - 2 to 3 nos
- Ginger, minced - 1/4 tsp
- A pinch of hing
- Curry leaves
- Onion - 1 no
- Tomato - 1 no (optional)
- Vegetables - 1 cup (Carrot, beans, peas)
- Water - 2 cups
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste
1. Heat ghee in the heavy bottomed pan, fry broken wheat for few mins. Keep it aside.
2. Heat oil in the pan, add mustard seeds, urad dal, green chillies, ginger, hing, curry leaves and sliced onions. Salute till tender.
3. Add chopped vegetables, tomatoes, water & salt. Cook till done.
4. Add broken wheat & cook till done.
5. Garnish it with coriander leaves & ghee (optional).
Serve warm with spicy chutneys.