Suryakala, a sun shaped sweet stuffed with sweet khova & desiccated coconut is served during special occasions. Though it is time consuming, it is very delicious and mouth watering sweet. I like to use homemade khova. Perfect celebration sweet !!!!
For the dough :
- All purpose flour /Maida - 1 cup
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Salt - a pinch
- Cold water for kneading
- Nuts for garnishing
- Oil for deep frying
For the stuffing :
- Sugarless Khova - 1/2 cup
- Sugar, powdered - 1/4 cup (as per your taste)
- Desiccated coconut - 1/4 cup
- Nuts (Cashewnuts, badam & pista) - 2 tbsp
- Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
For sugar syrup :
1. Sieve flour and salt together. Add ghee & rub the flour using your fingers which resembles like a breadcrumbs. Add enough cold water & knead the dough. Keep aside for 30 mins.
2. Prepare the sugar syrup to single thread consistency. Add saffron strands for additional flavour.
3. For the stuffing, mix together khova, sugar, desiccated coconut, nuts & cardamom powder. Keep aside.
4. Divide & roll the dough into small sized pooris. Fill the first poori with the stuffing in the middle & cover the next poori on the top & seal the edges with water. Once sealed, make spirals around the corner.
5. Heat oil over the medium heat & fry them till golden brown on either sides. Drain the excess oil in the tissue.
6. Dip & soak the suryakala's in the sugar syrup for 5 mins. Remove them from the sugar syrup & garnish it with chopped nuts on top.
Store & enjoy!!