I tried my hand at a fruit cake a few weeks back. The traditional kind you know, with a chockfull of nuts and fruits… very heavy and dense. This was the cake that you get at Christmas and weddings…and conventionally soaked in a strong liquor like brandy or rum. But I didn't soak the dry fruits in the liquor instead, I added 2 tbsp of rum to bring the taste as rich as soaked. I suggest to cover the cake after 1/2 hr of baking with foil to prevent them from overbrowning.
The smells that engulfed the house when it was baking was really yummy…so warm and heady, what will all the spices that went into the batter. And it was quite a fuss-free recipe too.
- 240 gms - All purpose four (plus 10 gms for dusting the pan)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp Rum (or) Brandy
- 250 gms butter
- 230 gms brown sugar
- Lightly beaten eggs - 4 nos
- 2 cups toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Raisins - 160 gms
- Currants - 160 gms
- Cherries - 60 gms
- Chopped pineapple - 1 cup (I used canned pinneapple)
- Chopped dates - 1/2 cup
- Almonds - 60 gms (plus 1/4 cup for topping)
- 1 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1/2 tsp cloves grounded
- 1 tsp cinnamom powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
Directions to bake :
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees C. Grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans, line with the parchment paper and greasing the top parchment paper layer.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, nutmeg powder, cinnamom powder, cloves powder,ginger powder & rum.
- Toss all the nuts (except 1/4 cup almonds) in 10 gms of flour & combine it with the above.
- Cream butter and sugar together till creamy.
- Add in eggs one at a time, beat well after each addition to prevent curdling.
- Toss the 1/4 cup almonds in the flour & keep aside.
- Finally fold everything together gently & pour the batter into the baking pan & just before smoothening the top, add the almonds tossed in flour & then level the top with the spatula.
- Bake at 150 degree C for 2 to 2 1/2 hrs. But after 2 hrs check if a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean without any crumbles, it shows the cake is ready.
For best flavor, wrap and store in refrigerator for 24 hours before serving.