- Par boiled rice - 3 cups
- Urad dal - 1 cup
- Poha (or cooked rice ) - 1/2 cup
1. Soak the rice & poha in one bowl & urad dal in seperate bowl for atleast 8 hrs. Preferably overnight.
2. First grind the urad dal to smooth consistency adding enough water.
3. Then grind the rice, poha mixture to medium consistency adding enough water (not too smooth).
4. Combine both the batter together & add salt. Store it in the warm place preferably inside the oven till it ferments (almost for 8 hrs)
5. Now, grease the idli moulds with oil or ghee.
6. Pour the batter in the moulds & steam in idly cooker for 10 to 15 min. Standing time 3 min.
7. Now dip the knife in the cold water & run arround the idlies and carefully flip them to the serving bowl.
Serve them warm with chutney & sambhar.
1. Use hands to combine both the batter together which helps in fementation.
2. Grind the Idli rice mixture little coarsely.
3. Instead of poha, cooked rice can be used. Add them along with soaked rice while grinding.
4. Add water little by little while grinding. The final batter should be not be watery.