- Milk - 6 cups
- Lemon juice - 2 tbsp
- Sugar - 2 cup (ur taste)
- Water - 5 cups + 1 tbsp
- Cardamon powder - 1/2 tsp
- Finely chopped nuts - 1/4 cup (Pista, almonds)
- Saffron strands - 4 nos (Dissolved in 1 tsp of milk)
1. Dissolve the 2 tbsp of lemon juice in 1 tbsp of water. Keep aside.
2. Boil 3 cups of milk in the heavy bottomed pan. Gradually add lemon juice mixture & stir continously. When the milk starts curdling switch off the flame & strain them in the clean muslin cloth (or cotton cloth). This is called panner or cottage cheese.
3. Immediately run the cold water in the paneer to remove the lemon smell. Twist the cloth tightly & hang them for atleast 1/2 hr to drain the last drop of water from it.
4. Knead the dough & make disc shaped balls. Keep aside.
5. Meanwhile, heat 5 cups of water in 1 cup of sugar in a heavy bottomed pan. Once it starts boiling, add the paneer disc & steam them for 10 mins or till the paneer balls are double in size.
6. Once cooked, take the balls along with little syrup (to prevent the malai from drying) & keep aside.
7. Heat 3 cups of milk in the non-stick pan & keep stiring continously till it reduces to half the volume.
8. Press the paneer disc between the palm to strain the syrup. Keep aside.
9. Add 1 cup of sugar,1/2 tsp of cardamom powder, nuts, saffron & add the the paneer disc. Cook at low flame for 5 mins.
10. Switch off the flame & allow it to cool.
Garnish with nuts & refrigerate before serving.