Prepare this big, nutritious cake for friends and family who, even if they are not lumberjacks, have serious appetites. It keeps well and is better the day after it is baked.
For cake :
- Dried pitted date, coarsely chopped - 1 cup
- Boiling water - 1 cup
- Baking soda - 1 tsp
- Butter, diced - 1/2 cup (125 gms)
- Brown sugar - 1 cup
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- All purpose flour - 11/3 cups (200 g)
- Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 3 medium tart cooking apples, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
Cream cheese frosting :
- Cream cheese, softened - 1/2 cup (125 g)
- Butter, softened - 1/4 cup
- Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- Grated lemon zest - 1/2 tsp
- Icing sugar - 1 1/2 cups
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease & line up the baking pan with parchment paper.
2. To prepare the cake, place the dates, boiling water and baking soda in a small heatproof bowl and leave to soak for 5 mins. Add the butter and stir until melted.
3. Beat the sugar, egg and vanilla in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. With mixer on low, beat in the flour, baking powder and coconut. Stir in the date mixture and apple by hand. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 50 - 60 mins. Leave to cool for 20 mins.
4. To prepare the frosting, beat the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, lemon zest and icing sugar until smooth. Spread over the top and sides of the cakes. Cover & decorate the cake with fondant.
Happy baking :)