Ven pongal is most popular South-Indian breakfast recipe that's usually served with chutneys and sambar. And today, I made this using the millet which makes it more healthier especially for Diabetic patients & for weight loss. We can use little millet (samai) / Foxtail millet (thinai) / Barnyard millet (kudhiraivalli) instead of Kodo millet (varagu) in this preparation. Enjoy this simple & healthy pongal with chutney & sambar.
- Kodo millet (varagu) - 200 gms
- Moong dal - 100 gms
- Cashew nuts - 25 gms
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Black pepper corns - 1 tbsp
- Ginger pcs - 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves - 2 tbsp
- Hing - 1/4 tsp
- Oil / Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
1. Heat oil / ghee in the pressure cooker, add cumin seeds, slightly crushed black peppercorns, curry leaves, hing, ginger pieces and cashew nuts.
2. Clean and soak the millet and rice for 15 mins. Then, add them to the seasonings. Add salt to taste.
3. Pressure cook them till done.
Serve it hot with ghee drizzled on top !!!!