Mirchi ka salan is most popular Hyderabadi curry served with biryani. It taste great even with plain rice / roti / bread. Mirchi ka salad is cooked using tomatoes /tamarind / yoghurt and this is my best version of salan using tomato. We can substitute green chillies with capsicum / tomato / bottle gourd. Try this & enjoy the YUM !!!!
- Green chillies - 4 - 5 nos
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Methi seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Kalonji seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Red chilly - 2 nos
- Curry leaves
- Onion - 1 no, sliced
- Puree from 2 medium sized tomatoes
- Turmeric powder
- Ginger garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- Green chilly - 1 no (optional)
- Red chilly powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
- Cumin powder - 1 tsp
- Sugar - a pinch
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Mint leaves for garnishing
- Peanut - 1 tbsp
- White sesame seeds - 1 tbsp
- Coconut, grated - 1 tbsp
1. Dry roast the peanut, sesame seeds and coconut. Grind them to smooth paste. Keep aside.
2. Heat a tbsp of oil and shallow fry the slit green chillies. If the chilly is spicy remove the seeds and them shallow fry them. Keep aside.
3. In the same pan, add a tsp of oil. Add mustards seeds, cumin seeds, methi seeds, kalonji, red chilly, curry leaves and sliced onions. Saute till tender.
4. Add ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, tomato puree, red chilly powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and salt to taste. Saute for 10 mins over low-medium heat.
5. Add grounded peanut paste, sugar and cook for another 10 mins over low flame.
6. Once done, add fried green chillies and garnish it mint leaves and coriander leaves.
Serve with roti / rice.