Vazhakkai bajji is most simple & popular South Indian snack served with coconut chutney. My first favourite is chilly, onion and then it is vazhakkai bajji. Perfect evening snack for kids & with tea. I like to have it hot with tomato ketchup....
- Plantain / Raw Banana / Vazhakkai - 1 small sized
- Besan / Gram flour - 1/2 cup
- Rice flour - 3 tbsp
- Chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Hing - a pinch
- Garlic powder - a pinch
- Jeera powder - 1/2 tsp
- Baking soda - a pinch
- Oil for deep frying
1. Peel the plantain skin off and slice them thinly.
2. Mix together gram flour, rice flour, salt, chilly powder, cumin powder, hing, garlic powder, baking soda & a tsp of hot oil with enough water. The batter should resemble like dosa / pancake batter.
3. Heat oil over medium heat, dip the sliced plantain in the besan batter and deep fry them until golden brown on either side. Drain the excess oil in the kitchen paper towel and serve.
Enjoy with chutney.
1. Soak the cut plantain pieces in salted water to avoid browning.
2. Adjust the oil heat everytime for even colouring.
3. 1 tbsp of cornflour can be added for more crispy texture.