This spicy & sweet tomato jam is too good it will make you want to rush over the stove to cook something just so you can have a spoonful of this on the side. It's fantastic with regular toast, roasted chicken or on a cracker. The flavour is rich and tangy with a spicy kick from the red chilly powder. YUM !!!
- Ripe Tomatoes - 3 medium sized
- Sugar / Light brown sugar - 1 cup
- Cinnamon stick - 1 no
- Cloves - 2 no
- Ginger pcs - 1 inch
- Chilly powder - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1 tsp
- Lemon - 1 no
- Salt a pinch
1. Remove the zest from the lemon & squeeze the lemon juice through a strainer. Keep aside.
2. Clean and grind the tomatoes coarsely.
3. In a heavy bottomed pan, pour the tomato puree, lemon juice, lemon rind, sugar, cinnamon stick, cloves, ginger pcs, chilly powder, cumin powder and salt.
4. Bring it to boil over high heat for first 10 mins and then over medium heat till done. Continue stirring until the tomatoes are dark & syrupy.
5. Once done, discard the cinnamon stick, cloves and ginger pieces.
6. Allow them to cool completely. Meanwhile sterilise the container and store them.