This is one of the most famous, delicious and simple bangalorean style chicken curry. It is an extremely flavourful chicken gravy, served with rice or rotis or parathas.
- Chicken - 1 kg
- Onions, finely chopped - 2 nos
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Tamarind paste - 1 tbsp
- Thick Coconut milk - 1/4 cup
- Salt to taste
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
For masala :
- Onion - 1 no
- Garlic - 3 cloves
- Coconut - 1/2 cup
- Dry red chillies - 4 nos
- Black pepper corns - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 3/4 tsp
- coriander seeds - 11/2 tbsp
- Methi seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Cloves - 3 nos
- Cinnamon - 1" piece
1. Marinate the chicken in turmeric powder and salt for 10 mins.
2. Dry roast the methi seeds and keep it aside. In the same pan, dry roast red chillies, pepper corns, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cloves and cinnamon. Keep aside.
3. Heat ghee in the pan, add onion (1 no), garlic and coconut. Roast them for few mins and cool them completely.
4. Grind together the roasted spices and onion mixture to smooth paste.
5. Heat oil in the heavy bottomed pan, add finely chopped onions (2 nos) and saute till tender.
6. Add turmeric powder and marinated chicken. Cover and cook for 5 mins.
7. Add curry leaves, grounded masala paste and salt to taste. Cook for another 10 mins over medium flame.
8. Add enough water (around 2 cups) and tamarind pulp. Cook over medium heat till done.
9. Finally, add coconut milk and switch off the flame. Garnish it with curry leaves or coriander leaves.
Serve with rice / rotis/ parathas.