This is one of my mom's recipe. I like to have bitter gourd in this way as it taste less bitter from usual. Addition of sugar and tamarind pulp reduces the bitterness and makes it kids friendly. Healthy side dish for rice.
- Bitter gourd - 2 medium sized
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon stick - 1" inch
- Onion - 2 nos, finely chopped
- Tomato puree - from 2 tomatoes
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Chilly powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Tamarind pulp - 1 tbsp
1. Cut the bitter gourd into desired sizes ( I removed the seeds inside). Heat the water along with turmeric powder, tamarind pulp (1tbsp), salt and add the bitter gourd and cook them for 10 mins or until it becomes tender.
2. Heat oil in the pan, add fennel seeds and cinnamon stick.
3. Add finely chopped onions and saute.
4. Add turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder, salt and sugar. Mix well.
5. Add tomato puree and mix well.
6. Add enough water and cook them.
7. Add bitter gourd and cook them over low flame for 10 mins.
Serve them hot.