Basbousa is most popular all over the Middle East and every country makes it slightly different. This cake like sweet is made using semolina & coconut as a main ingredient and soaked in sugar syrup. This dessert is supposed to be really sweet and it tastes best that way, but you can adjust the quantity of sugar that goes into the syrup, if you want a less sweeter version. In fact, it is an extremely tasty one and the recipe is very easy to follow. You are going to love it :)
- All purpose flour - 1/2 cup
- Semolina - 1 1/4 cup
- Desiccated coconut - 1 1/2 cup
- Almond essence - 4 drops
- Baking powder - 1 tsp
- Butter,melted - 110 gms
- Egg - 1
- Milk - 1 cup
- Saffron, few strands
- Sugar - 3/4 cup
- Blanched almonds. whole
For the sugar syrup :
1. Mix together flour, semolina, desiccated coconut, almond essence, saffron, baking powder, butter, egg, sugar, milk and make a smooth dough.
2. Spread the dough in the greased baking pan & refrigerate for 30 mins. Cut the dough in the desired shapes.
3. Bake them at 180 C for 30 mins.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the sugar syrup by boiling the water & sugar for 5 mins. Add lemon juice while boiling and finally rose water.
5. Remove the Basbousa from the oven and pour the sugar syrup and arrange almonds on top. Bake for another 10 mins or until done.
Serve them warm.