Lauki Kofta Curry are a favourite in our house when it comes to side dish for rotis and it is a definite show stealer. These delicious kofta are made from grated bottle gourd and besan and soaked in an aromatic coconut-yoghurt based gravy. We can always make koftas in advance and freeze them so that they can be used anytime we need. Koftas can be shallow fried / deep fried / baked and this is my simple & best version of this dish.
For the kofta :
- Bottle gourd, grated - 1 cup
- Cumin powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red chillypowder - 1 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Mint leaves, chopped - 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves, chopped - 1 tbsp
- Chickpea flour (Besan) - 2 to 3 tbsp
- Cashew nuts
- Oil for frying
For the curry :
- Peanuts - 1 tbsp
- Sesame seeds - 1 tbsp
- Coconut, grated - 2 tbsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Red chilly - 1 no
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Onion - 2 nos
- Curry leaves
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Red chilly powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin powder
- Mint leaves
- Yoghurt - 3 tbsp
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
1. Squeeze the grated bottle gourd and collect the juice in a separate bowl for later use.
2. Add salt, cumin powder, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, mint leaves, coriander leaves to the squeezed bottle gourd and mix well.
3. Add chick pea flour and mix well. Make small dumpling and keep a cashew nut in the middle and fry them (either shallow or deep fry). Keep aside.
4. Meanwhile, dry roast the peanuts, sesame seeds and grated coconut and grind them to smooth paste.
5. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chilly and fenugreek seeds. Saute.
6. Add sliced onions, curry leaves and salt to taste. Saute till tender.
7. Add ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and coconut paste. Cook them on a slow flame for 20 mins. (Add laud
8. Add some finely chopped mint leaves, coriander leaves and beaten yoghurt. Cook for few mins.
9. Add lauki kofta and put the lid on and cook for 2 mins. Switch off the flame and garnish it with coriander leaves.
Serve with rotis or rice.