Bottle gourd halwa is very simple, delicious and healthy dessert made by grating the lauki and cooking them along with the milk & sugar and garnished with nuts. There are many ways to make this dessert using khova / cream / condensed milk either in pressure cooker or on pan. Today, I am sharing the simple method using the milk. I didn't use food color instead I used saffron for natural color & flavour. We enjoyed having them cold....
- Bottle gourd - 1 medium sized ( around 3 cups)
- Ghee - 3 tbsp
- Sugar - 1/2 cup (adjust to your taste level)
- Milk - 3 cups
- Nuts (Cashewnuts, almonds, dry grapes), roasted - 2 tbsp
- Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
- Saffron (optional)
- Green food color (optional)
1. Peel the bottle gourd skin off and grate them. Keep aside.
2. Heat ghee in the pan, fry the grated bottle gourd for few mins or until water evaporates completely.
3. Now, add milk and cook them over medium flame stirring occasionally until the ghee leaves the sides of the pan.
4. Finally, add the cardamom powder, saffron, food color and roasted nuts.
Serve hot or cold.