Vegetable biryani is one of my comfort lunch menu. Coconut milk is the main ingredient in this biryani which adds up the flavour & taste delicious. Serve it simple with onion raita or with vegetable curry / lamp curry / chicken curry. I use pressure cooker for making this biryani but without using the weight(whistle). We can use either basmati rice or raw rice, but I personally like basmati rice for this dish. Less time consuming but taste awesome !!!!
- Oil / Ghee - 3 tbsp
- Basmati rice - 1 cup
- Cinnamon stick - 2 nos
- Cloves - 3 nos
- Cardamom - 2 no
- Bay leaf - 1 no
- Star anise - 1 no
- Onion - 2 medium sized
- Tomato - 2 nos
- Green chillies - 2 no
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Vegetables (Carrot, beans, cauliflower, green peas, potato) - 1 cup, chopped
- Chilly powder - 1 tsp
- Yoghurt - 1 tbsp
- Garam masala - 1 tsp
- Coconut milk - 2 cups (I used thin coconut milk)
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Mint leaves
- Coriander leaves
- Cashew nuts - 1 tbsp
1. Heat oil/Ghee in the heavy bottomed pan, add cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom, bay leaf and star anise. Add finely sliced onions and saute till tender.
2. Add ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder and salt to taste.
3. Add finely chopped tomatoes and vegetables. Saute.
4. Add yoghurt, chilly powder, garam masala, mint leaves and coriander leaves.
5. Meanwhile. soak the basmati rice in enough water for atleast 10 mins. Add basmati rice to the above mixture.
6. Add coconut milk, finely chopped mint leaves, coriander leaves, lime juice and roasted cashew nuts. Adjust the salt if necessary.
7. Cover and cook on medium high flame for 4 mins and simmer the heat to low and cook them for another 10 mins. (I used pressure cooker but without whistle)
8. Once done, drizzle some ghee and garnish it coriander leaves. Sometimes, I used bread croutons for garnishing too.
Serve with raita / curry.