Ginger is a common ingredients used in different cuisine cooking. It is rich in minerals like magnesium & potassium. Ginger Thogayal is served as a side dish to rice or idly or dosa. This is very easy to prepare and I personally like to have with rasam rice. I tried this recipe from "Sivakasi Samayal". Taste simply delicious :)
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tbsp
- A ping of hing
- Red chillies - 5 nos ( to spice level)
- Garlic - 2 pods
- Ginger - 1/2 cup, washed, peeled and chopped
- Onion - 1 medium sized
- Tomato - 1 small sized
- Tamarind (Gooseberry sized)
- Jaggery - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - few leaves
1. Heat 1 tsp of oil, add urad dal, hing, red chillies, garlic, curry leaves, chopped onions and saute for few mins.
2. Add chopped ginger and cook till done. Finally, add tomato pieces and saute for few more mins. Add enough salt and switch off the flame. Allow the mixture to cool completely.
3. Grind the mixture along with the tamarind and jaggery to smooth paste without adding water.
4. Heat 1 tsp of oil in the pan, add mustard seeds, curry leaves and the grounded mixture. Cook the mixture for few mins till it separates from the pan.
Serve with steamed rice / Idly.