Paal Kozhukattai is my childhood favourite payasam. This Chettinadu sweet dish is traditionally prepared using jaggery and coconut milk. Instead, we can substitute with regular sugar / brown sugar and milk. Either way it taste great.
For Rice balls :
- Raw rice - 1 cup
- Coconut, grated - 1 tbsp
- Water - 2 cup
- A pinch of salt
- Ghee / Oil - 1 tsp
- Thin coconut milk (or) milk - 1 cup
- Brown sugar - 2 tbsp
For Jaggery sauce :
- Jaggery - 3/4 cup
- Thick coconut milk - 1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
1. Soak the rice for 3 hours and grind them using one cup of water to smooth paste. Add a pinch of salt while grinding.
2. Transfer the rice paste, coconut grated in the heavy bottomed pan and add another cup of water and a tsp of ghee. Keep stirring until it forms a dough consistency. Switch off the flame.
3. When the dough is warm, make small balls out of it and keep aside.
4. In a heavy bottomed pan, bring thin coconut milk and brown sugar to boil. Add the rice balls and cook for 5 mins. Gently stir the cooked rice balls and simmer the flame once done.
5. In a separate pan, dissolve the jaggery in the hot water and filter them.
6. Now, add the jaggery water in the cooked rice balls and cook them till done (around 5 mins).
7. Finally, add thick coconut milk and cardamom powder and switch off the flame.