Tomato puree is one of the most important ingredient in my kitchen. This is used as a base for most of the dishes like gravies, salsa, kuruma & even for pizza sauce. Making tomato puree is something easy to do and will make your tomato dishes taste so much better.
- Tomatoes - 1 kg
- Vinegar - 1/2 cup
- Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Salt - 3/4 tbsp
1. Wash and remove the stem side of tomatoes. Make a cross cut at the bottom of each tomatoes.
2. Boil the water and drop all the tomatoes. Cook over medium heat for 5 mins or until the skin starts to split.
3. Remove the tomatoes from the hot water & drop them in ice cold water for 5 mins.
4. Peel of the skin and cut the tomatoes into half.(Discard the seeds which is optional)
5. Puree them in a blender to smooth paste. Transfer the puree along with the vinegar, sugar and salt to the pot and cook them over medium heat till you get the desired consistency.
6. Allow them to cool and store them in air-tight container.
1. Refrigerate the tomato puree which stays good for atleast two weeks.
2. Freeze the remaining tomato puree for longer use.