This light and delicate egg sponge vanilla cake requires no butter. That's right! A butter free cake !!! I loved this cake when served with tea.
- All purpose flour - 3 cups
- Baking powder - 2 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Granulated sugar - 2 cups
- Eggs - 4 nos
- Vanilla extract - 2 tsp
- Milk (preferably full fat) - 2/3 cup
- Oil - 2/3 cup (I used sunflower oil)
- Caramelised almonds & glazed cherry for decoration
For Sugar syrup :
- Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Water - 1/4 cup
Whipped cream frosting :
For the cake :
1. Preheat the oven at 180 C. Grease and line up the baking pans with parchment paper.
2. Sieve together flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Beat the sugar, eggs and vanilla extract unit smooth and creamy.
4. Then, with the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture with the milk and oil, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
5. Divide the batter between the prepared pans and bake it for 25 to 30 mins or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow them to cool completely.
For the sugar syrup :
6. In a saucepan, bring the water to boil and dissolve the sugar completely. Allow them to cool completely.
For the cream frosting :
7. Sieve the powdered sugar and add them to the whipping cream along with the vanilla extract. Whip them till stiff peaks.
8. Place the first layer of cake and brush them slightly with the sugar syrup. Spread the thin layer of frosting. Place the second layer of cake on top of the frosting. Brush them with sugar syrup and layer them with frosting. Repeat the process with the next layer.
9. Cover the cake with the remaining frosting. Sprinkle some caramelised almonds and decorate with glazed cherries.
Enjoy baking :)